The trip is from New River, West Virginia, to Stinking Creek, Tennessee, by way of Long Key, Florida.
Skidaway Island State Park
We found a beautiful place to camp outside of Savannah - Skidaway Island State Park.

We took a short hike.



We saw this area had taken a hit from the recent hurricane, just not as bad as Hunting Island.

The bridge over the Skidaway River.

After resting at our campsite, later that afternoon I took a much longer hike around the park.





I found these piles of clam shells at several different places.

I saw more hurricane damage.

Like most state parks, there was the opportunity for primitive backcountry camping.

I came across an observation tower.

It gave a good view from its three-story height.


I climbed back down and continued my hike.


There was a tree with impressive roots.

And a bridge with a natural arch.

I came across several clam middens that had been piled up by native Americans.


And the remnants of a still.

There were also earthworks from the Civil War where canons had been emplaced to defend this approach to Savannah.

After several miles the trail wound its way back to the campground, where I crashed for the rest of the day.
Next Location - Savannah, Georgia
No comments:
Post a Comment