Okefenokee Swamp, Georgia
Early the next morning we drove south from Savannah on Hwy. 17 to Midway. Here we turned inland away from the coast on Hwy. 84. We continued southwest to Waycross, where we turned southeast on Hwy. 23. We turned south onto Rte. 177, which took us to the northern entrance to Okefenokee Swamp.

Where we saw several alligators.


I really didn't get this close, I zoomed. I've got better sense than that. Most of the time.

We hiked into the swamp.



Lily pads in bloom are a pretty sight.

An even prettier sight was this sleeping alligator. I didn't zoom in for this shot. You can see in the bottom left corner of the photo the edge of the boardwalk. He had curled up right next to the boardwalk to snooze.

So I had to pose with him.

We walked by other alligators who were wide awake.

In this one pond there were four cruising around, although I could only get 2 of them in the same photo.

The boardwalk led to an observation tower that gave a good view of the swamp.


Finished with the hike, we drove off to see more of the swamp.
Next Location - Okefenokee 2
No comments:
Post a Comment